What are LEAP and ARPIT programmes ?
Union Ministry off Human Resource Development launched two new initiatives viz. Leadership for Academicians Programme (LEAP) and Annual Refresher Programme In Teaching (ARPIT) for higher education faculty. ARPIT is unique initiative of online professional development of 15 lakh higher education faculty. LEAP is three weeks flagship leadership development training programme for second level academic functionaries in higher education institutions.
Leadership for Academicians Programme (LEAP) -:
- Leadership for Academicians Programme (LEAP) is a three weeks (2 weeks domestic and one week foreign training) flagship leadership development training programme for second level academic functionaries in public funded higher education institutions.
- It would provide senior faculty the required leadership and managerial skills including skills of problem-solving, handling stress, team building work, conflict management, communication, understanding the complexity and challenges of governance in HEIs and general administration.
- LEAP will make Higher Education Institutions (HEIs) perform their roles of developing better students who will be future torch bearers.
- The main objective is to prepare second tier academic heads who are potentially likely to assume leadership roles in the future.
- It will be implemented through 15 NIRF top ranked Indian Institutions namely, IIT Roorkee; IIT Kanpur; NIT Trichy; IISER Kolkata; JNU; IIT (BHU); Delhi University; IIT Bombay; TISS Mumbai; University of Hyderabad ; NIEPA, IIT Kharagpur; Jamia Milia Islamia; BHU; and AMU.
- The foreign universities identified for the training are also within the top 100 in the world global rankings.
- The foreign collaborating institutions are University of Michigan; NTU Singapore; Harvard University; Purdue University, USA ; University of Chicago; University of Pennsylvania; Monash University; Oxford University; University of Cambridge and University of Virginia.
Annual Refresher Programme in Teaching (ARPIT)
- Annual Refresher Programme in Teaching (ARPIT) is a major and unique initiative of online professional development of 15 lakh higher education faculty using the MOOCs platform SWAYAM.
- These instituted are tasked to prepare online training material with focus on latest developments in the discipline, pedagogical improvements and methodologies for transacting revised curriculum.
- For implementing ARPIT, 75 discipline-specific institutions have been identified and notified as National Resource Centres (NRCs) in the first phase.
- In 2018, the inaugural year itself, the NRCs are expected to cater to around 13 lakh faculty of the total 15 lakh faculty in higher education.
- The training materials will be uploaded and made available through SWAYAM.
- There are built-in assessment exercises and activities as part of the academic progression in the course.
- At the end of the course, there will be a terminal assessment which can be either online or a written examination.
- All faculties who have successfully completed the online refresher course will be certified.
- The courses will remain open from November 1, 2018 to February 28, 2019.
- All in-service teachers, irrespective of their subject and seniority are requested to register and complete these refresher courses which will help them in career advancement.
- NRC will publish the list of the faculty who have been certified.