International Women’s Day is celebrated every year on 8th March. The Ministry of Women & Child Development celebrates this day to acknowledge the achievements of women for the nation and recognize their contributions to the society. Therefore, it has been decided by the Ministry to confer ‘Nari Shakti Puraskars‘ every year to individuals and institutions in recognition of their service towards the cause of women empowerment, especially vulnerable and marginalized women.
Objectives of Nari Shakti Puraskars
- In the past few years, there have been concerted efforts by the Government to recognise and encourage women to participate in all spheres and issues related to women have gained utmost importance and focused attention. “Nari Shakti Puraskars” shall showcase the Government’s commitment towards women with the aim of strengthening their position in the society.
- Nari Shakti Puraskar will also provide an opportunity for Young Indians to understand the contribution of women in the building of society and the nation.
- The awards will inspire the individuals & institutions to follow the league of awardees.
- The recipients of the Nari Shakti Puraskars shall be declared every year by 20th February and awards will be conferred on 8th March on the occasion of International Women’s Day (IWD).
- The maximum number of awards (including individual and institutional) would be 40. The Award in each category shall carry a certificate and a cash amount of rupees one lakh.
Eligibility Criteria for Nomination
- The awards are open to all individuals and institutions.
- In case of an individual category, the awardee must be at least 25 years of age on the last date of receipt of the nomination.
- If the applicant is an institution, it should have worked in the relevant field for at least 5 years.
- The applicant should not be a recipient of the same award earlier (including Stree Shakti Puraskars as were awarded by the Ministry).
- The Nari Shakti Puruskar may be awarded for outstanding work, preferably in exceptional circumstances, to – individuals/ groups/institutions / NGOs, etc. in the areas of economic and social empowerment of women.
The Nari Shakti Puruskar may be awarded to individuals/ groups/ NGOs/ institutions etc. who encouraged women to participate in decision making roles; encouraged women’s skill development in traditional and non-traditional sectors; facilitated basic amenities for rural women; promoted women in non-traditional sectors like science and technology, sports, art, culture, etc.
- An award shall also be given to a State or Union Territory, which has appreciably improved Child Sex Ratio (CSR).
- Normally the awards shall not be presented posthumously; except in cases where the death occurred subsequent to a proposal having been submitted to the Ministry in the manner as stipulated in these guidelines.
- Nominations for the award shall be invited from:
(a) State Governments, Union Territory Administrations, concerned Central Ministries/Departments.
(b) Non-Governmental Organizations, Universities/ Institutions, Private and Public Sector Undertakings (PSUs).
(c) The Selection Committee may also, suomoto, recommend an individual/ institution for the award with sufficient justification.
(d) Self-nominations for the awards shall also be considered.
- The Nominations would be sent to the Ministry of Women and Child Development with details as per application form (Annexure-I) along with supporting documents as mentioned in the application form.
- The entities at para 5.1 recommending the nominations should clearly certify the work carried out by the nominees for which the award is being recommended.
For the Nomination Form Click here